Friday, January 10, 2014

Burberry

While I was at London, the fashion bug kinda bit me. Not too hard till I was desperate to get one of the branded goods on the spot. But it did certainly planted a target for one of my long term goals - get financial freedom, and then acquire garments that you are able to afford.

At London, the heart of fashion itself, strutting pass Knightsbridge, Regent Street, I got pounded with names that I knew were classy and quality. However I wasn't a pro yet in how good was good. So I made that initiative to learn up the brands one by one and perhaps, spend some time at the stores next time when I'm out. Window shopping ain't that bad!

One brand that I have a strong affinity to is Burberry. Their outlet at Knightsbridge was one of the outlets I've spend most of my time during Boxing Day. Burberry is indigenous in England - it started in Basingstoke, and how it grew to a global luxury brand certainly incites me, apart from their much classy design.

http://henryjacksoninitiative.org/userfiles/images/BURBERRY_SPECIAL_A_DISPLAY_BLACK_RGB%5B2%5D-1.png
Prorsum - Moving forward in Latin

 Burberry was founded by Thomas Burberry. And I'd say one of their biggest success is not any particular clothing, but the design that is synonymous to it's brand - The Burberry Check.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSF58w47BD_crp7zofAGxJjQl78qr64MB9Nwx5y6EMfvEIgXXGJ 

You know how logos or symbol plays a role in marketing. But a pattern design that symbolizes a brand, is not quite something you come across. Plenty of symbols have horses or knights; you may mistaken Burberry's iconic logo for something else. But the Burberry Check is distinct and in it's own league.

Alright enough of the brand. More on the founder. Thomas Burberry was well remembered not only for founding Burberry. He is also known for his other invention - the gabardine, a fabric used to make coats, trousers and many more.

Notable examples of Burberry going the distance with mankind was Roald Amundsen, the first man to reach the South Pole in 1911 and Ernest Shackleton, who led the Antarctica expedition. George Mallory's ill-fated Mount Everest attempt in 1924 also saw him wearing a Burberry jacket.

Gabardine is used nowadays for trench coats, one of the clothing item that I have fallen in love with. Most probably I'm being influenced by Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes. Oh well too bad its not applicable in Malaysia.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=70160359







No comments:

Post a Comment